On this episode Ryan and I catch up with Jamil, who I really haven’t seen since middle school, but I was lucky enough to reconnect with after he told us he was a fan of the podcast (Number 2 fan according to him 😉 ). Jamil is an incredibly introspective guy, and we talked about the journey within, finding internal fulfillment through meditation, philosophy, investigating the world around us, and pursuing creative work. The conversation gets deep and we discuss losing our sense of self, our private meditation practices, our new years resolutions, our travel experiences, and our (drug-free) psychedelic experiences lucid dreaming. We aren’t afraid to let things get weird either, and we dive into parapsychology (ghosts and the supernatural), quantum consciousness (which I have very little patience for), meeting Deepak Chopra, the individuals Ryan and I have had sexual lucid dreams about, and harnessing your sexual energy for productivity.
We do give some easy to use practical advice, mostly on how to meditate, and why you should start meditating today!
Your Homework: Leave a comment telling us what your New Year’s Resolution is, and how it’s going so far.
Selected Links from the Episode:
- Jamil’s Blog (check it out, he seems to really be putting some thought into this)
- The Megan Episode
- My MIT Homeworks
- Ryan’s Standing Desk Video
- The Meditation Site Jamil Recommends
- Waking Life Trailer
- Inception, I don’t know how many people realize that this is a scifi movie about lucid dreaming
- Southpark PC Principal (sorry guys I still don’t think Southpark is funny)
- “Go outside and sit in the sunshine — ideally in nature, away from bustling city life — for 15 minutes before 10:00am (or after 5:00pm). Better yet: go barefoot and reconnect with the earth. Don’t allow yourself to sit indoors all day long, especially in dark rooms! Your body needs sunlight and fresh air, which will give you a positive burst of energy. A small dose of sunshine makes your body feel great, so take a break from modern living and unplug from your cell phone. Surround yourself with nature’s quiet stillness.” from Charlie Hoehn’s article on what you should do instead of killing yourself
- Antifragile (if you haven’t read this book yet, at least read the description)
- Dave Aspery’s Insane Lecture on Hacking your Sexual Energy for Productivity, this is seriously crazy, I think everyone should watch this, just to see an example of someone who isn’t afraid to perform a wildly personal experiment instead of letting social stigma and unfounded assumptions stand in their way
- The Paleomodern Polymaths Facebook Group – if you listen to this you should join!
Ryan’s cork progress