For this episode, Ryan and I revert the podcast to the original format (just us) so we can get deeper and more intimate without the pressures of having to pull information out of a podcast guest, or help someone who is uncomfortable with the recording process. We know each other more than almost anyone else, and we dig into the big question of why we’re pursuing what were pursuing, and how it might not be be as logical as we originally convinced ourselves. Ryan was around me growing up, saw me struggle with skateboarding, and psychoanalyzes me in this episode, which helps me realize why I’m investing so much time in a goal that is antithetical to my personality and natural abilities. I try to do the same, about Ryan’s struggle to keep up, and stay injury free, in the sports and fitness world. Why is a skinny neuroscience graduate trying to be a crossfit trainer, and why is an uncoordinated astrophysicist killing himself over an unrealistic skateboard goal? Listen and find out.
Selected Links from the Episode:
- Ryan’s new blog
- Art of Learning, my favorite book about learning how to learn
- Becoming a Supple Leopard, Ryan’s major inspiration for pursuing Crossfit
- Antifragile, I am constantly borrowing ideas and referring to the concepts in this book, if you want to read one thing that will make you smarter, try this
- The Truth, introduced me to the concept of ‘protecting your inner child’, a must read for all young men
- The Paleomodern Polymaths Facebook Group – if you listen to this you should join!
A few of my skateboard updates from the last week: